8 Low-Cost Health Tips for 2014

8 Low-Cost Health Tips for 2014

Promocodes Team

Promocodes TeamJan 08, 20143 min read

They say January is the busiest month for gyms. I think we all know why. New Year’s resolutions combined with newfound motivation to implement goals. I’m no Dr. Oz, but I do realize the importance of maintaining a healthy balance between fun and fitness. So I’ve compiled a few tips—one dash inspiration and one dash information—to get you started on the right track.

The only thing that makes losing weight sweeter is doing it without excessive spending; it’s throwing away your pocket book and crying to the Health Gods “I can do bad all by myself!” And then doing it. Here are eight low-cost health tips to get you started.

Use printable coupons in health stores. Right in time for the New Year, there is a Vitamin Shoppe printable coupon for 20 percent off and $5 off, respectively. If your health prerogative involves exponential gym visits and increased vitamin intake, this is just the way to start.

Clean up. In a recent blog post, we outlined the virtues of starting the New Year with a fresh start. Deals at The Container Store will make it possible for you to declutter and reorganize and clear your mind. What is external influences what is internal, so clear the space and focus. Holiday parties and general mayhem might’ve dirtied up the joint. Fix the problem and get back to neutral.

Correct your posture. Muscle imbalance can be a direct result from our daily routines, whether it’s sitting in a desk all day or driving often. Fixing your posture is an easy and cost-free endeavor. Consciously try to sit upright and strengthen weaker muscles, especially within your back.

Implement a diet regimen. While it’s easy to snag a deep discount on Nutrisystem, some may prefer to go without a program. My brother recently took to eating only raw foods, which as he puts it, provides optimum vitamins and minerals, and it’s the first time in our lives that I’m fatter than him. Kudos, bro. Processed foods are so frequent in society it’s almost impossible to avoid them, but if you can, you’ll be on your way to a natural, less expensive diet regimen.

Take a selfie every month. Odds are you have a smartphone and odds are you’re into selfies, because hey, we’re American and that’s what we do. Nevertheless, it can be a great way to measure results. Instead of becoming discouraged by lack of results after a few days, or even weeks, you might be able to see results if you take pictures once a month.

Switch to coconut oil. Yes, even if you’re a dude. Knock off the Vaseline and artificial moisturizers; coconut oil is a suitable replacement considering the health benefits associated with it. Coconut oil contains powerful medicinal properties and fatty acids (not acids that make you fat), hunger-quenching properties, and it lowers risk of heart disease. Coconut oil at Puritan’s Pride ships for free, and a quality sampling costs a little over $10.

Grab a green juice daily. It may take the jaws of life to pull you away from your daily coffee, but green juice—more easily downable than munching on raw leaves—allows the body a sufficient supply of chlorophyll, which increases the quality and quantity of your red blood cells. It also improves the efficiency of oxygen transport, giving you more energy and improving your wellbeing.

Subscribe to the 80/20 rule. The Bigger Loser’s Jillian Michaels consistently preaches the 80/20 rule—making a wise nutritional choice 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent of the time you can pig out. She believes it to be the perfect balance, not depriving you but still allowing you to lose weight.

Start slow. If you’re eating more than 4,000 calories, drop it down to 3,000, then lower and lower and lower. It’s always best to become slowly acclimated instead of diving straight in. Hopefully this inspires you to make healthy decisions in 2014.