Owning a dog is one of life’s most enjoyable and rewarding experiences. However, the heavy costs can cut into that enjoyment. The annual cost for a dog is anywhere from $580 to $875, according to Bankrate. And with an average lifespan of 12 years, that’s some considerable spending.
It’s National Dog Day, a day in which we show our appreciation for our precious four-legged babies. But since your wallet is primarily to thank, I believe it’s due time to go over some cost-saving tips for making your pet healthy and happy at the lowest price possible. But before we get into it, be sure to use PetSmart’s coupons for $10 off orders of $60 and $20 off with free shipping—available today only (with free shipping). Dollar disconts good through 9/1/2014.
What does it cost to own a dog?
The start of a dog’s life requires hefty spending. The purchasing price of a purebred runs anywhere from $500 to $2,000. Initial vet costs to neuter and spay costs $50 to $100. Adding puppy vaccinations and fecal exams and preventative medication to the mix could jolt your expenditures to $700 in the first few months. This is all so sad for your pocket book, so let’s jump into the savings advice.
Where to find discounted food and toys
- Shop online at PetSmart.com or Petco. There are always coupons to take advantage of, and often these pet retailers have loyalty programs which can save you more the more you shop. Big discounts on brand-name pet foods are abundant. One secret to taking these discounts even further is following your pet’s favorite brand on Twitter or Facebook. These brands sometimes offer coupons on their social media page which would have otherwise gone unnoticed.
- Subscribe to sites that deliver food to you. There are numerous websites that allow pet owners to sign up for subscriptions. Amazon, Dog.com and PetFoodDirect.com deliver foods automagically, which can decrease driving costs. Amazon’s Subscribe and Save cuts costs by 15 percent.
- Purchase dog food in bulk. When you see an incredible deal, it saves you in the long run to buy in bulk. Dog food is relatively nonperishable.
- Sign up for DoggyLoot.com. These guys handpick the best dog products and offer special discounts. Their packages also ship for free. Simply sign up. Plus, DoggyLoot.com also provides a subscriber option, and your favorite products will ship on a scheduled basis.
Remember to use coupons for pet food and supplies to save on every expense.
The Furry Dog-Children of promocodes.com
Originally from Las Vegas, NV, Olivia made the move to southern California six years ago and hasn’t looked back since. Olivia prefers the green grass and beach weather to the desert any day.
- Name: Olivia Chamberlain
- Breed: Gorgeous Mutt (Lab, Border Collie, Australian Cattle)
- Age: 8 years young
- Favorite Toy: Olivia’s greatest joy in life is some one-on-one time with a tennis ball
- Favorite Activity: Going everywhere and anywhere her mama goes. Chasing squirrels and snuggling.
- Fun Fact: Olivia learned “sit” and “paw” in the same day, and eight years later she will not do one without the other.
- Halloween Costume: Martha Stewart Butterfly costume/harness, purchased this weekend from PetSmart in El Segundo, CA
The Ramatici brother/sister duo resides north of San Francisco. These Golden Gate siblings enjoy long walks through the vineyards and brunching poolside on Sundays.
- Name: Nino Ramatici
- Breed: Papillon
- Age: 4 years
- Favorite Toy: Plush Octopus
- Favorite Activity: Showing off, sitting, rolling over, twirling on hind legs, and being adorable.
- Fun Fact: Can walk on hind legs for suspiciously long periods of time.
- Sneak Peak at Nino’s Halloween Costume
- Name: Olivia Ramatici
- Breed: Boston Terrier
- Age: 2
- Favorite Toy: Nino’s Plush Octopus
- Favorite Activity: Finding the highest point in any given room and napping accordingly.
- Fun Fact: Refuses to adhere to the conformities of a leash and/or harness, and instead walks alongside owner during said walk.
- Sneak Peak at Olivia’s Halloween Costume
Chloe has been a lifelong resident of Philadelphia, PA, aside from a one-year stint she spent in Boston, MA with her mom after they graduated from college.
- Name: Chloe Hanrahan
- Breed: Black Lab
- Age: 12
- Favorite Toy: Her frisbee and bone…it’s a tie.
- Favorite Activity: Eating, specifically breakfast, but she loves all food.
- Fun Fact: Chloe knows how to open the garage door and let herself out, but she still hasn’t mastered closing the door when she is done … yet.
Lincoln spent her first few months with her mom and dad in Chicago, Il this past winter. Although she loved playing in the snow, she is happy to be living near the beach in Santa Monica, CA.
- Name: Lincoln Stiles
- Breed: Berne-doodle
- Age: 9 months
- Favorite Toy: Alligator named “Crocky”
- Favorite Activity: Going for a car ride
- Fun Fact: Lincoln loves to stand on her back two paws and give hugs. That’s 80lbs of puppy love!